I've been wanting to make this for so long, and I could kick myself for not trying sooner. It's so easy and delicious!!
Baked Eggs in Avocado
One of my favourite lunches is avocado toast, it's so simple and satisfying that I would happily eat it everyday if I could. Lately though, with the arrival of swimsuit season I'm trying to cut back on the breads and other starches that stick to my hips like glue. So when I saw these gorgeous eggs baked in avocados I knew I had to give them a try.
To make them is so simple, we did one avocado per person so what you see here served three.
- 3 ripe avocado
- 6 medium sized eggs
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut avocados in half, and remove pit. Carve our a deeper hole using a spoon so there is enough room fro the yoke and some whites.
- Arrange the avocado shells in an oven safe skillet or baking dish. I stuffed tinfoil in the bottom to keep them from tipping over.
- Crack an egg over a bowl, get the yoke and some whites into one of the half cracked shell and pour into avocado. If a bit of the whites run over its okay. (We had extra large eggs and they were much too big, we ended up with a bowl of extra whites that we saved for an omelet. I think medium size eggs would be perfect. ) Repeat until all avocado halves are filled.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes (this depends on how runny/set you like your eggs of course)
- Remove and add toppings to your liking - I kept it simple but tomatoes and chives would be nice!